SARFS formerly H-Rail
Program provides safety, security and accessibility improvements that help senior citizens to remain in their homes. Repair types are limited to minor repairs that may include, but are not limited to: grab bars, lever faucets, window/door repairs, carbon monoxide detectors, smoke detectors, and wheelchair ramps.
SARFS is for Chicago seniors who earn no more than 80 percent of the area’s medium income, adjusted for family size, and are at least 60 years of age. Qualified recipients may be owners or renters residing in a one- to four-unit building (a renter must have permission from the landlord and the landlord needs to certify that he or she will not increase the rent as a direct result of SARFS improvements).
Services are provided by the Partners In Community Building, Inc. contracted by the City of Chicago Department of Housing, and can include the following repairs:
Category’s of repairs – Safety/Security/Accessibility
- Installation of smoke detectors, carbon monoxide detectors and fire extinguishers
- Installation in the bathroom of grab bars, vanity, tub surround, accessible raised toilet, hand-held shower-head
- Installation of accessible faucet handles
- Make available a shower bench for bathtub
- Installation or repair of railings (interior or exterior)
- Wheelchair accessible ramp
- Repair of (interior or exterior) steps
On-site inspections will be done to determine services needed.
Applications shall be at least 60 years of age. Qualified recipients can be a homeowner or renter. The building must be 1 to 4 units to be eligible for repairs through the (SARFS) Program.
When a renter makes an application, the landlord shall certify that he or she is the owner where the applicant resides, and give permission for repairs to be done under the SARFS Program and will not increase the rent as a result (SARFS) improvements.
You can apply directly with Norma Long:
Partners In Community Building, Inc. (PICB)
3424 S. State, Ste. 1F6 – 1
Chicago, Illinois 60616